BRIEF-BP says strongly disagrees with U.S. court ruling
Sept 4 (Reuters) - Bp Plc
* BP - Statement re gulf of mexico
* Bp strongly disagrees with decision issued today by united states district court for eastern district of louisiana and will immediately appeal to united states court of appeals for fifth circuit.
* Bp believes that finding that it was grossly negligent with respect to accident and that its activities at macondo well amounted to willful misconduct is not supported by evidence at trial.
* Law is clear that proving gross negligence is a very high bar that was not met in this case.
* Bp believes that an impartial view of record does not support erroneous conclusion reached by district court.
* Court has not yet ruled on number of barrels spilled and no penalty has yet been determined.
* District court will hold additional proceedings, which are currently scheduled to begin in january 2015, to consider application of statutory penalty factors in assessing a per- barrel clean water act penalty
* During the penalty proceedings Bp will seek to show that its conduct merits a penalty that is less than applicable maximum after application of statutory factors.
* Bp is reviewing decision and will issue a further statement as soon as possible. Source text for Eikon: Further company coverage:
© Thomson Reuters 2016 All rights reserved.