BRIEF-BHP to lower copper unit costs to $1.08 per pound in FY 2017
Dec 1 (Reuters) - BHP Billiton Plc
* Over this period, release of latent capacity across portfolio will also help annual group copper production grow to approximately 1.7 mt at very low cost
* At Escondida, no major investment is required to sustain an average 1.2 million tonnes per annum of production capacity for decade from 2016
* BHP Billiton President Copper, Daniel Malchuk, announced plans to lower copper unit costs to $1.08 per pound in 2017 FY
* Strong recovery will be supported by our differentiated water and power solutions in Chile which will provide us with a significant competitive advantage
* Olympic Dam unit costs are expected to fall 48 percent by end of 2017 financial year to $1.00 per pound, repositioning asset at low end of cost curve Source text for Eikon: Further company coverage:
© Thomson Reuters 2017 All rights reserved.