US STOCKS-Futures edge higher; new home sales data on tap
* HP dips in premarket after results, job cut plans
* Aeropostale stumbles before the bell after outlook
* New home sales data due
* Futures up: Dow 12 pts, S&P 1.75 pts, Nasdaq 5.25 pts
By Chuck Mikolajczak
NEW YORK, May 23 (Reuters) - U.S. stock index futures inched higher on Friday, ahead of data on the housing market, with the S&P 500 on track to score its first weekly gain in the past three.
* New home sales data for April is due at 10:00 a.m. (1400 GMT). Expectations call for sales of single-family homes to climb to 425,000 units from the seasonally adjusted annual rate of 384,000 units in the prior month.
* The S&P 500 ended higher for a second session on Thursday, as gains in small-cap stocks help buoy investor confidence, while the Nasdaq climbed on a rally in biotech shares. The benchmark S&P index has climbed in four of the past five trading days and is up 0.8 percent for the week.
* The S&P is 0.5 percent from its record intraday high of 1,902.17 set on May 13 and 0.3 percent from its record closing high of 1,897.45 set on the same day. The index has been range-bound between the highs and its 50-day moving average as investors have been unsure of the pace of the economic recovery. Continuación...