US STOCKS-Wall St little changed after strong August, data
* July Construction spending his 5 1/2 year high
* Dollar General ups Family Dollar bid
* Markit factory activity expands in August
* ISM manufacturing accelerates in August
* Indexes: Dow off 0.1 pct, S&P flat, Nasdaq up 0.27 pct (Updates to market open; adds quote, data)
By Chuck Mikolajczak
NEW YORK, Sept 2 (Reuters) - U.S. stocks were little changed on Tuesday as investors digested the latest batch of solid economic reports on the heels of the best monthly performance for the S&P since February.
Financial data firm Markit said its final U.S. Manufacturing Purchasing Managers Index rose to 57.9 in August from 55.8 in July, marking its highest level since April 2010. A separate report from the Institute for Supply Management on the manufacturing sector rose to 59.0, its highest level since March 2011, from 57.1 the month before.
In addition, construction spending rebounded strongly, as it increased by 1.8 percent to an annual rate of $981.31 billion, the highest level since December 2008. Continuación...