US STOCKS-Wall St little changed after August rally, data
* July construction spending his 5 1/2 year high
* Dollar General ups Family Dollar bid
* Markit factory activity expands in August
* ISM manufacturing accelerates in August
* Indexes: Dow off 0.14 pct, S&P off 0.11 pct, Nasdaq up 0.18 pct (Updates to midday)
By Chuck Mikolajczak
NEW YORK, Sept 2 (Reuters) - U.S. stocks held near the unchanged mark on Tuesday as investors digested the latest batch of solid economic reports on the heels of the strongest monthly performance for the S&P since February.
In the latest signs of strength in the economy, financial data firm Markit said its final U.S. Manufacturing Purchasing Managers Index rose to 57.9 in August while a separate report from the Institute for Supply Management on the manufacturing sector rose to 59.0. A reading above 50 indicates expansion.
In addition, construction spending rebounded strongly, as it increased by 1.8 percent to an annual rate of $981.31 billion, the highest level since December 2008. Continuación...