US STOCKS-Futures higher ahead of ECB, flurry of data
* ADP payrolls, initial claims data due
* Tibco Software gains before open; to review alternatives
* Ciena stumbles after results, outlook
* Futures up: Dow 44 pts, S&P 7 pts, Nasdaq 11.5 pts
By Chuck Mikolajczak
NEW YORK, Sept 4 (Reuters) - U.S. stock index futures were higher on Thursday, ahead of a European Central Bank policy meeting and a flurry of economic data, including two reports on the U.S. labor market.
* Futures added to gains in the wake of a Reuters report that said the ECB would discuss plans to launch an asset-backed securities and covered bond purchase program worth up to 500 billion euros at a policy meeting Thursday. A rate decision is due at 7:45 a.m. EDT (1145 GMT), with a press conference to follow at 8:30 a.m. (1230 GMT).
* Investors will peruse a host of economic data for insight into the health of the labor market ahead of Friday's payrolls report. These include the August ADP employment report scheduled for 8:15 a.m. (1215 GMT) and weekly initial jobless claims at 8:30 a.m. (1230 GMT). ADP data is expected to show the private sector added 220,000 jobs last month while claims are expected to show a slight increase to 300,000 from 298,000 in the prior week.
* Also due at 8:30 a.m. (1230 GMT) are second quarter productivity and July international trade data. Those will be followed by two reports on the services sector, with the August Markit Services PMI scheduled for release at 9:45 a.m. (1345 GMT) and the Institute for Supply Management's August non-manufacturing PMI at 10:00 a.m. (1400 GMT). Continuación...