US STOCKS-Wall St advances as Nasdaq touches 5,000 mark
* Nasdaq briefly tops 5,000 level
* Consumer spending falls for second straight month
* Markit manufacturing hits 4-month high, ISM hits 13-month low
* NXP Semi to buy Freescale Semi
* Indexes up: Dow 0.61 pct, S&P 0.34 pct, Nasdaq 0.6 pct (Adds data)
By Chuck Mikolajczak
NEW YORK, March 2 (Reuters) - U.S. stocks advanced on Monday to push the Nasdaq above the 5,000 mark for the first time in fifteen years, as a round of mixed data pointed to a slowly accelerating economy.
The Nasdaq hit a high of 5,000.33 before retreating, the first time above that level since March 27, 2000, at the height of the dot.com bubble.
"Five thousand on the Nasdaq, it's been a long time coming," said Peter Kenny, chief market strategist at Clearpool Group in New York. Continuación...