UPDATE 2-Brazil police raid Olympics site in corruption investigation

martes 7 de junio de 2016 18:52 GYT

(New throughout, adds details and comments from prosecutor in interview)

By Brad Brooks

RIO DE JANEIRO, June 7 (Reuters) - Brazilian federal police on Tuesday raided an Olympic venue set to hold 11 sports at Rio de Janeiro's games in August, hunting for further evidence that construction firms skimmed millions of dollars from federal funding.

Prosecutors said so far they have found at least 128 million reais ($37 million) in money diverted from federal funding for the Olympics project, accounted for in earth-moving works that either did not happen or were fraudulently overcharged.

"Representatives of the consortium and authorities from the mayor's office are giving us contradictory information about what happened," said federal prosecutor Fernando Aguiar, part of a Rio-based anti-corruption team. "We don't know where the money or the dirt went."

Prosecutors presume the consortium either pocketed the money or used it to bribe politicians by funneling it into campaign coffers. That would mirror what has been seen in the separate probe into a massive kickback scheme at state-run oil company Petrobras involving the same construction firms.

Federal police said they carried out search warrants at the on-site office for the consortium made up of privately owned Brazilian construction firms OAS SA and Queiroz Galvao.

They collected computers, documents, pen drives and other storage devices that could give clues as to where the money went.

Police also raided the offices of two companies they did not name, that worked with the consortium.   Continuación...