RIO DE JANEIRO, July 16 (Reuters) - Marcelo Odebrecht, the former chief executive of Brazil’s largest construction company that carries his name, is on the verge of a plea deal with prosecutors over his role in a sweeping corruption scandal surrounding oil producer Petroleo Brasileiro SA, a media report said on Saturday.
The online Radar column for the news magazine Veja said the deal on the table would see builder Odebrecht SA pay a fine of 6 billion reais ($1.83 billion) and the collaboration of more than 50 executives with investigators.
Odebrecht SA declined to comment on the report. The prosecutor’s office did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Last month, Carlos Lima, a lead prosecutor in the sprawling kickback probe, told Reuters no plea deal with Marcelo Odebrecht was imminent. But reports over a potential agreement have continued to circulate.
Odebrecht is considered a pivotal figure because of his close ties to current and former political leaders, including suspended President Dilma Rousseff’s predecessor and mentor, former President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva.
The company Odebrecht has said it will collaborate with the investigation.
($1 = 3.281 reais)
Reporting by Stephen Eisenhammer Editing by; W Simon