UPDATE 3-GM recalls 1.5 mln more vehicles; CEO says 'terrible things happened'

lunes 17 de marzo de 2014 17:27 GYT
 

* New actions are unrelated to ignition switch problems

* GM to take $300 mln charge in 1st qtr for all four recalls

* CEO vows changes in recall procedures

* Working with Delphi to double output of replacement ignition switches

By Ben Klayman

DETROIT, March 17 (Reuters) - General Motors Co announced new recalls of 1.5 million vehicles on Monday and in a virtually unprecedented public admission by a GM chief executive, Mary Barra acknowledged the company fell short in catching faulty ignition switches linked to 12 deaths.

"Something went wrong with our process in this instance, and terrible things happened," she told employees in a video message posted online. Barra said the company is changing how it handles defect investigations and recalls.

In the last two months, GM has recalled more than 3.1 million vehicles in the United States and other markets. The actions started with last month's recall of more than 1.6 million vehicles for faulty ignition switches. The latest recalls cover airbag wiring harnesses, brake parts and other components across several models.

The Detroit automaker said on Monday it would take a $300 million charge in the first quarter, primarily to cover the costs related to the ignition-switch recall and the three new recalls.   Continuación...