CORRECTED-US STOCKS-Wall St up as geopolitical fears ease, Microsoft jumps
(Corrects to show housing starts dipped from prior month, not rose)
* Putin tells parliament he does not want more of Ukraine
* Fed in view as two-day meeting set to begin
* Microsoft shares rally, near $40 for first time since 2000
* General Motors rises after CEO comments on recalls
* Indexes up: Dow 0.6 pct, S&P 0.7 pct, Nasdaq 1 pct
By Chuck Mikolajczak
NEW YORK, March 18 (Reuters) - U.S. stocks rose for a second straight day on Tuesday, with the S&P moving within 1 percent of record levels after comments from Russian President Vladimir Putin eased concerns that tensions over Ukraine might escalate.
Gains were broad, with all 10 primary S&P 500 sectors higher on the day. Groups tied to the pace of economic growth, including materials, were among the day's biggest advancers, while a rally in Microsoft boosted tech shares more than 1 percent. Continuación...