US STOCKS-Wall St gains on industrial earnings but ends off highs
* Industrial shares rally on 3M, Caterpillar results
* Stocks pare gains; New York tests patient for Ebola
* Jobless claims below 300,000 for 6th straight week
* Amazon falls as results, forecast disappoint
* Indexes up: Dow 1.32 pct, S&P 1.23 pct, Nasdaq 1.6 pct
By Yasmeen Abutaleb
NEW YORK, Oct 23 (Reuters) - Earnings from Caterpillar and 3M drove Wall Street higher on Thursday but stocks pared gains in late trading after reports that a New York hospital was running Ebola tests on a healthcare worker.
The day's advance put the S&P 500 at its highest level in two weeks as results from industrial bellwethers reassured investors that corporations can generate strong profits despite concerns about global growth.
Still, the S&P finished about 0.6 percent below its intraday high after news that a healthcare worker who returned to the United States from West Africa had a fever and gastrointestinal symptoms. Continuación...