Brazil says no "grand bargain" with builders in Petrobras scandal

miércoles 25 de marzo de 2015 18:44 GYT
 

By Anthony Boadle

BRASILIA, March 25 (Reuters) - President Dilma Rousseff's government denied on Wednesday that it is looking to strike a "grand bargain" with Brazilian construction and engineering firms implicated in the kickback scandal at state-run oil company Petrobras.

With Brazil facing recession, the government is keen to limit economic fallout by reaching leniency deals with some of the 24 companies under investigation that have halted projects and laid off workers after Petrobras stopped paying them.

Reuters reported last month that some of those companies, which include the country's top builders, were pressing the government and judiciary to strike a "grand bargain" to minimize the legal fallout.

But prosecutors say such leniency deals will hinder criminal investigations to punish corrupt executives who allegedly paid billions of dollars in bribes siphoned off overpriced contracts with Petroleo Brasileiro SA, as the oil company is formally called.

"There is no such big agreement," Brazil's solicitor general Luís Inácio Adams said at a congressional hearing.

Brazil's comptroller general Valdir Simão said four of the 24 companies have proposed negotiating deals with his office, known as the CGU. They are OAS, Galvão Engenharia, Engevix and SOG Óleo e Gás.

One foreign company involved in the bribery scandal, Dutch oil platform leasing firm SBM Offshore NV, said last week it had agreed on a framework for an accord with the CGU.

Like the Brazilian firms, SBM cannot bid for contracts with Petrobras while it is under investigation.   Continuación...