UPDATE 2-Mexico cenbank slams Trump remittance plan as rights violation

martes 12 de abril de 2016 14:46 GYT

(Recasts with Carstens' rejection of Trump plan)

By Michael O'Boyle

MEXICO CITY, April 12 (Reuters) - U.S. presidential candidate Donald Trump's proposal to force Mexico to pay for a border wall by threatening to block remittances from illegal immigrants would be a major violation of Mexicans' rights, Mexico's central bank governor said on Tuesday.

The Republican candidate said last week that if elected in November, he would use a U.S. anti-terrorism law to cut off such money transfers unless Mexico made a one-time payment of $5 billion to $10 billion for the wall.

Mexican Central Bank Governor Agustin Carstens, speaking in Mexico's Congress, dismissed the idea.

"The remittances are the property of the people that make them and they have every right to be able to carry out international transfers," Carstens told reporters. "So it would be a serious violation of the property rights of our fellow citizens abroad and this measure would be completely unjust."

The U.S. remittances are worth roughly $25 billion per year, or close to 2 percent of Mexican gross domestic product.

Separately, Carstens said Mexican inflation should be close to its target rate of 3 percent toward the end of 2016, although the bank will watch that weakness in the peso currency does not stoke price pressures.

The peso fell sharply against the dollar from late 2014 through early February, when the central bank carried out a surprise rate hike. That and other steps taken by Mexican policymakers have helped stabilize the peso, and there had been less speculation against it since, Carstens said.   Continuación...