US STOCKS-Wall St down as homebuilder confidence slips
* Dow hits record-high before reversing course
* Endo down after agreeing to buy Par Pharmaceutical
* Altera up on report of possible deal with Intel
* Ann rises after Ascena Retail takeover offer
* Indexes down: Dow 0.1 pct, S&P 0.02 pct, Nasdaq 0.02 pct (Adds details, changes comment, updates prices)
By Sweta Singh
May 18 (Reuters) - U.S. stocks lost their early gains on Monday, after the Dow Jones industrial average hit a record high, as homebuilder confidence index fell, adding to a stream of weak economic data that has muddied the outlook for interest rates.
The National Association of Home Builders/Wells Fargo Housing Market index fell to 54 from 56 the month before. Economists polled by Reuters had predicted the index would rise to 57.
The U.S. economy is struggling to rebound strongly enough for the Federal Reserve to raise interest rates before September, analysts have said. Continuación...