REFILE-US STOCKS-U.S. stocks choppy in early trade on mixed economic data
(Corrects to "stocks" from "stock" in headline and first paragraph)
* April construction spending up, consumer spending flat
* Manufacturing picks up in May
* Intel falls on Altera buy, weighs on S&P, Nasdaq
* Cancer drug maker's jump after data presentation
* Indexes down: Dow 0.05 pct, S&P 0.16 pct, Nasdaq 0.42 pct
By Tanya Agrawal
June 1 (Reuters) - U.S. stocks were choppy in early trading, giving up their gains from a strong opening, as investors digested a slew of data that sent a mixed picture on the pace of the economy's recovery.
Data from ISM showed the pace of manufacturing growth rose in May. Other data showed construction spending surged in April, but consumer spending was unexpectedly flat. Continuación...