US STOCKS-U.S. stocks flat in choppy trading after mixed economic data
* April construction spending up, consumer spending flat
* Manufacturing picks up in May
* Intel falls on Altera buy, weighs on Nasdaq, Dow and S&P
* Cancer drug maker's jump after data presentation
* Indexes up: Dow 0.03 pct, S&P 0.02 pct, Nasdaq 0.04 pct (Adds details, comment, updates prices)
By Tanya Agrawal
June 1 (Reuters) - U.S. stocks were flat in choppy trading late on Monday morning, giving up their gains from a strong opening, as investors digested a slew of data that sent a mixed picture on the pace of the economy's recovery.
Data from ISM showed that the pace of manufacturing growth rose in May. Other data showed construction spending surged in April, but consumer spending was unexpectedly flat.
The data left investor's with a mixed view about the strength of the economy's recovery as they try to gauge when the Federal Reserve will ultimately raise interest rates. Continuación...