US STOCKS-U.S. stocks recover gains after mixed economic data
* Construction spending up, manufacturing growth picks up
* April consumer spending flat
* Intel falls on Altera buy, weighs on Nasdaq, Dow and S&P
* Microsoft jumps on report of German startup buy
* Indexes up: Dow 0.4 pct, S&P 0.4 pct, Nasdaq 0.5 pct (Updates to early afternoon)
By Tanya Agrawal
June 1 (Reuters) - U.S. stocks were higher in afternoon trading on Monday, erasing slender losses in choppy trading earlier in the session, as investors digested a flurry of data that painted a mixed picture on the pace of the economy's recovery.
Data from ISM showed that the pace of manufacturing growth rose in May. Other data showed construction spending surged in April, but consumer spending was unexpectedly flat.
The data left investor's with a mixed view about the strength of the economy's recovery from the first-quarter's slump as they try to gauge when the Federal Reserve will ultimately raise interest rates. Continuación...