US STOCKS-Wall St dips as investors edgy ahead of Fed meet
* Fed statement at 2 p.m. ET; Yellen conference at 2:30 p.m.
* Weekly mortgage application falls 5.5. pct
* Apple weighs on Nasdaq, S&P; UnitedHealth biggest drag on Dow
* All three major indexes lower for the month
* Indexes down: Dow 0.23 pct, S&P 0.27 pct, Nasdaq 0.19 pct (Updates to early afternoon)
By Tanya Agrawal
June 17 (Reuters) - U.S. stocks shed earlier gains to trade lower in choppy trading on Wednesday as investors awaited a Federal Reserve statement that could provide hints on the timing of a rate hike.
All three major indexes were lower for the month.
Investors will scour the statement - due at 2:00 p.m. ET (1800 GMT) - for any signs of when the Fed is likely to begin raising interest rates and the pace of any subsequent hikes. Continuación...