US STOCKS-U.S. futures fall as Apple results disappoint
* Futures down: Dow 71 pts, S&P 9 pts, Nasdaq 54 pts
By Tanya Agrawal
July 22 (Reuters) - U.S. stock index futures fell on Wednesday as corporate earnings disappointed, especially from Apple, the world's largest company.
* Apple shares slumped 6.2 percent to $122.61 in premarket trading, a day after the iPhone maker's revenue forecast for the fourth quarter fell below expectations.
* Disappointing earnings from other technology giants such as Microsoft and Yahoo also added to losses.
* Microsoft fell 3.9 percent to $45.45 after reporting its biggest quarterly loss, as the company wrote down its Nokia phone business and demand fell for its Windows operating system.
* Yahoo was down 2.2 percent at $38.85 after it forecast lower-than-expected revenue for the current quarter as it struggles to revive its core online advertising business.
* U.S. stocks had closed lower on Tuesday as results from IBM and United Technologies dampened early optimism over earnings season.
* While markets are near record highs, June-quarter earnings of S&P 500 companies are expected to dip 1.9 percent, according to Thomson Reuters data, well below the 5.9 percent gain forecast on Jan. 1. Continuación...