US STOCKS-Wall Street slumps more than 2 percent
* 73 pct Dow, 67 pct S&P stocks in correction territory
* All 10 S&P sectors down; 8 in the red for the year
* Energy stock hit as U.S. crude falls below $40/barrel
* HP and Salesforce top S&P gainers after results
* Indexes down: Dow 1.89 pct, S&P 1.90 pct, Nasdaq 2.06 pct (Updates prices)
By Tanya Agrawal
Aug 21 (Reuters) - U.S. stocks slumped more than 2 percent in early afternoon trading on Friday, with the S&P trading below 2000 and the Dow about 150 points shy of moving into correction territory, as fears of a China-led global slowdown were heightened after grim data overnight.
About three-fourths of the 30 stocks on the Dow Jones industrial average and two-thirds of S&P 500 components were in correction territory, meaning their session lows were at least 10 percent below their 52-week highs.
The Russell 2000 also entered correction territory. Continuación...