US STOCKS-Indexes flat; on track for best month in 4 years
* Exxon, Chevron up slightly after results
* LinkedIn, Abbvie soar after results
* Keycorp down after agreeing to buy First Niagara
* Consumer spending barely rose in September
* Dow up 0.05 pct, S&P flat, Nasdaq up 0.03 pct (Updates to early afternoon)
By Abhiram Nandakumar
Oct 30 (Reuters) - U.S. stock indexes were flat on the last trading day of what could be the best month for stocks in four years as investors assessed consumer spending data and results from energy majors.
The S&P consumer staples sector slipped 0.63 percent after data showed U.S. consumer spending barely rose in September and the University of Michigan's index on consumer sentiment came in below expectations.
The three major indexes have rallied about 9 percent in October, mostly driven by the Fed's decision to keep rates unchanged at its September meeting and largely positive third-quarter results. Continuación...