US STOCKS-Tech rally drives indexes; S&P 500 positive for year
* Crude oil prices rebound after Monday's rout
* Apple biggest boost to S&P 500, Nasdaq
* Amazon up after strong holiday results
* Pep Boys up after board finds Icahn's proposal superior
* Indexes up: Dow 0.96 pct, S&P 0.88 pct, Nasdaq 1.05 pct (Updates to early afternoon)
By Abhiram Nandakumar
Dec 29 (Reuters) - U.S. stock indexes were higher on Tuesday, with the S&P 500 logging a small gain for the year, as tech stocks rallied and energy stocks reflected a recovery in crude prices.
The S&P 500 was up 0.78 percent for the year, while the Nasdaq Composite extended gains and was up 7.56 percent. The Dow Jones industrial average, however, was down about 0.7 percent.
"I think equities on average are destined to end 2015 in uneventful fashion," said Terry Sandven, chief equity strategist at U.S. Bank Wealth Management in Minneapolis. Continuación...