UPDATE 2-UK Stocks-Factors to watch on Jan 14
(Adds company news items, updates futures)
Jan 14 (Reuters) - Britain's FTSE 100 futures were down 0.9 percent by 0748 GMT ahead of the cash market open. For more on the factors affecting European stocks, please click on
* The UK blue chip index closed up 0.5 percent at 5,960.97 points on Wednesday after better-than-expected trade data from China improved market sentiment, pushing oil and metals prices higher and lifting investors' appetite for shares in mining, oil and gas companies.
* SHELL: Royal Dutch Shell plans to grow its lubricants business in Asia in the next five years, targeting surging vehicle sales and rising population growth, said a senior company official.
* BP: The families of two BP employees killed in the 2013 Amenas gas plant attack in Algeria have filed a lawsuit in London's High Court against the company, accusing it of failing to take reasonable steps to protect its workers.
* RIO TINTO: Rio Tinto , the world's second largest miner, is going to freeze all pay in 2016, ramping up its cost-cutting effort to weather what it expects to be a prolonged commodities slump, according to a memo from Chief Executive Sam Walsh.
* ASHMORE: Emerging market-focused fund manager Ashmore saw $1.7 billion in net outflows in the three months to end-December, bringing assets under management below $50 billion.
* JUPITER: British fund firm Jupiter Fund Management said on Thursday it had taken in a net 496 million pounds ($714.74 million) in investor cash over the three months to end-December.
* AB FOODS: Associated British Foods said total sales at its discount fashion store Primark were up 7 percent in the four months leading up to Christmas on a constant currency basis, boosted by new store openings in Spain and the United States. Continuación...