US STOCKS-Futures flat as investors await more clues from Fed
* Futures : Dow down 3 pts, S&P down 1 pt, Nasdaq down 10 pts
By Yashaswini Swamynathan
Aug 30 (Reuters) - U.S. stock index futures were little changed on Tuesday as investors waited for more clues on the timing of the next interest rate hike.
* Investors are trying to decipher whether an interest rate hike in the United States could come as early as next month after Federal Reserve Chair Janet Yellen said on Friday that the case for a raise was strengthening.
* Fed Vice Chairman Stanley Fischer, in an interview with Bloomberg TV on Tuesday, said the U.S. job market is close to full strength and the pace of interest rate hikes will depend on how well the economy is doing, but he gave little clues on the timing of the next hike.
* Investors are awaiting a report on monthly payrolls data due on Friday, which could support the Fed's earlier plans for two hikes this year or scuttle any move.
* Meanwhile, they will keep an eye on a report that is expected to show the consumer confidence index edged slightly down to 97 in August after hitting 97.3 last month. The data is due at 10:00 a.m. ET (1400 GMT).
* The Case/Shiller house price index, due at 9:00 a.m. ET, is likely to have risen 5.2 percent in the 12 months to June.
* Strong economic data in the past few months and narrowing concern about global economic risks have encouraged the Fed to turn more hawkish on rates. However, the central bank has maintained that any increase would be gradual. Continuación...