US STOCKS-Futures flat as investors await jobs report
* Futures: Dow down 2 pts, S&P up 0.25 pts, Nasdaq up 1.25 pts
By Mamidipudi Soumithri and Yashaswini Swamynathan
Aug 31 (Reuters) - U.S. stock index futures were flat on Wednesday as investors awaited Friday's monthly jobs report to get a clearer picture of the health of the economy and the timing of the next interest rate hike.
* Fed Chair Janet Yellen said last Friday the case for raising rates was strengthening, but gave little hint on when the central bank would likely make its move.
* Boston Fed president and voting member Eric Rosengren, in a panel discussion in China, said the Fed should consider that quicker interest rate rises over time could stave off risks to the economy.
* Investors hope that Friday's nonfarm payrolls data would give them a better understanding of whether the central bank could decide on a rate hike as soon as next month.
* The Federal Open Market Committee, the policymaking body of the central bank, is scheduled to meet on Sept. 20-21.
* Investors are awaiting a report by payrolls processor ADP for a reading on monthly hiring in the private sector. The report, which acts as a precursor to Friday's jobs data, is likely to show that 175,000 jobs were added in August, after rising 179,000 in the previous month.
* The dollar index hovered near a three-week high, pressuring oil prices. Continuación...