US STOCKS-Wall St pares gains on weak services data
* Non-manufacturing activity index drops to 51.4 in August - ISM
* Financial stocks drag down S&P 500
* Spectra Energy jumps on Enbridge deal
* Cepheid soars on $4 bln Danaher offer
* Dow down 0.06 pct, S&P down 0.05 pct, Nasdaq up 0.18 pct (Adds details, comments, updates prices)
By Yashaswini Swamynathan
Sept 6 (Reuters) - The S&P 500 index and the Dow pared gains on Tuesday as financial stocks were weighed down by weak services data.
The U.S. economy's service sector expanded in August but at a slower pace than in July, and the fall from the previous month was the largest since the 2008 financial crisis, a report by the Institute for Supply Management (ISM) showed.
The report follows Friday's weaker-than-expected employment data, which raised doubts about the health of the economy and its ability to absorb an interest rate hike in the near term. Continuación...