US STOCKS-Futures fall as investors weigh rate-hike chances
* Futures down: Dow 28 pts, S&P 4 pts, Nasdaq 7.75 pts
By Yashaswini Swamynathan
Oct 6 (Reuters) - U.S. stock index futures were lower on Thursday as improving economic data and comments from Federal Reserve officials suggested monetary policy could be tightened by the end of the year.
* The dollar index rose 0.2 percent as investors await the September jobs report on Friday that will help determine the future path of interest rates.
* A growing number of Fed officials have expressed the need for higher rates as the labor market remains robust and inflation inches towards the central bank's 2 percent target.
* Richmond Fed President Jeffrey Lacker on Wednesday said a strong employment report would bolster the case of a hike sooner than later.
* Wall Street rose on Wednesday, driven by financial and energy stocks.
* A report on weekly jobless claims is due at 8:30 a.m. ET (1230 GMT).
* The Fed is most likely to pull the trigger on rates in December as its November meeting falls days ahead of the U.S. presidential election. Continuación...