UPDATE 4-Faulty Takata air bags prompt expanded Toyota recall
* Takata says more vehicles could be recalled
* Discovers record-keeping errors at plant in Mexico
* Honda, Nissan, Mazda check for problem
* 7 million cars with Takata air bags recalled in last 5 years
* U.S. safety regulators open probe (Adds Takata, Chrysler comments in paragraphs 5 and 16)
By Yoko Kubota and Ben Klayman
TOKYO/DETROIT, June 11 (Reuters) - Takata Corp's safety crisis deepened on Wednesday after Toyota Motor Corp recalled almost 2.3 million vehicles globally, many for the second time, and the Japanese air bag maker warned that further fixes may be needed.
Toyota, the world's largest automaker, called back 1.62 million vehicles outside of Japan that it recalled last year as well as 650,000 more in Japan not previously recalled. The additional vehicles brought to more than 7 million the total number of cars equipped with Takata air bags to be called back worldwide over the last five years.
The 2.3 million cars, many of them sold in the United States, are being recalled to replace faulty air bag inflators. Continuación...