US STOCKS-Wall St in free-fall; all three indexes in correction
* Chinese market falls 8 percent
* S&P enters correction territory
* Oil hits new 6-1/2 year low
* Nasdaq futures briefly halted premarket
* Indexes down: S&P 4.64 pct, Nasdaq 6 pct, Dow 5.05 pct (Updates to open)
By Tanya Agrawal
Aug 24 (Reuters) - Wall Street opened sharply lower on Monday with the Dow Jones industrial average losing more than a 1,000 points following a more-than 8 percent drop in Chinese shares and a selloff in oil and other commodities.
The Dow has never lost more than 800 points in a day.
Futures on the Nasdaq, S&P and Dow indexes were halted briefly before the market opened after hitting a circuit breaker, a step taken by exchanges to reduce volatility and give investors time to assess information. Continuación...