US STOCKS-Futures rise on strong Apple results; Fed awaited
* Futures up: Dow 40 pts, S&P 4 pts, Nasdaq 31.25 pts
By Yashaswini Swamynathan
July 27 (Reuters) - U.S. stock index futures were higher on Wednesday, helped by Apple's stellar results, and ahead of the Federal Reserve's comments on interest rates.
* Apple shares soared more than 6 percent to $102.66 in premarket trading after the company sold more iPhones than expected in the third-quarter and gave an upbeat current-quarter forecast.
* Investors are also waiting to hear what the Federal Open Market Committee (FOMC) has to say about raising interest rates and the health of the U.S. economy.
* The FOMC has little room to raise rates this time, but a recent set of strong economic data can strengthen the case for an increase earlier than the market anticipates.
* The committee will end its two-day meeting with a statement at 2:00 p.m. ET (1800 GMT).
* Traders have priced in a 19.5 percent chance of a rate increase in September and a 42.8 percent chance in December, according to CME Group's FedWatch tool.
* Global stocks got a boost after Japan Prime Minister Shinzo Abe unveiled a $265 billion stimulus package to reflate the country's economy. Continuación...