Gains in southern periphery buoy European equities
* Peripheral European markets outperform
* Lisbon's PSI-20 rises as bond yields fall
* Volumes low as public holiday in most of Europe
* FTSEurofirst 300 at highest since early 2008
* Euro STOXX 50 near 6-year high
By Sudip Kar-Gupta
LONDON, June 9 (Reuters) - Spain, Italy and Portugal outperformed other European stock markets on Monday, as investors stepped up bets that they would benefit most from the European Central Bank's latest economic stimulus measures.
The gains in Madrid, Milan and Lisbon propped up key pan-European equity indexes, although volumes were thin due to public holidays in several European countries.
Lisbon's PSI-20 equity index rose 0.3 percent. Also supporting sentiment was a drop in Portugal's 10-year bond yield to its lowest level since January 2006 on expectations the country's recovery from the euro zone debt crisis would gather pace. Continuación...