RPT-UPDATE 3-BHP announces spin-off plan, holds off on share buyback
(Adds link to Breakingviews video)
* Spin-off includes some nickel, coal
* Analyst sees 'better asset mix than we thought'
* Company to hold minimal net debt
* BHP Billiton half-year profit up 8 pct
* London-listed shares drop 4 pct
By Sonali Paul
MELBOURNE, Aug 19 (Reuters) - The world's biggest mining company, BHP Billiton , announced plans to spin off businesses worth an estimated $16 billion, most of them acquired in its 2001 merger with Billiton, to focus on its most profitable activities.
But it held off on a share buyback, disappointing investors who had hoped to receive around $5 billion. BHP's London-listed shares fell 4 percent. Continuación...