UK Stocks-Factors to watch on Aug. 20
LONDON Aug 20 (Reuters) - Britain's FTSE 100 futures contract was flat on Wednesday, with the cash market set for a slightly softer open after ending at a 3-week high in the previous session. For more on the factors affecting European stocks, please click on
* The UK blue chip index finished up by 0.6 percent at 6,779.31 points, its highest close since July 29, on Tuesday.
* STANDARD CHARTERED : British banking company Standard Chartered Plc will pay a $300 million penalty and suspend or exit some important businesses after failing to weed out risky transactions that could be linked to money laundering.
* GLENCORE : Commodity trader and miner Glencore said on Wednesday it will launch a share buy-back programme of up to $1 billion as it posted a forecast-beating 8 percent rise in first-half core profit.
* ANTOFAGASTA : Chilean miner Antofagasta named insider Diego Hernandez as its new chief executive to take over the running of the company from Jean-Paul Luksic, who retains his role as chairman but in a non-executive capacity.
* BALFOUR BEATTY /CARILLION : British engineering company Balfour Beatty on Wednesday rejected Carillion's third merger proposal, saying it failed to address its concerns over risks to the business.
* HIKMA : Hikma Pharmaceuticals Plc reported a 44 percent rise in first-half adjusted profit, helped by strong demand for its high-margin injectibles particularly in the United States. Continuación...