UK Stocks-Factors to watch on Feb. 24
(Adds futures price, company news items)
LONDON Feb 24 (Reuters) - Britain's FTSE 100 futures edged up 0.1 percent on Tuesday, with the cash market also set for a steady start according to financial bookmakers. For more on the factors affecting European stocks, please click on
* The UK blue chip index closed flat at 6,912.16 points on Monday.
* BHP BILLITON : Global miner BHP Billiton posted a 31 percent drop in half-year profit as prices for all its main products collapsed, but beat market forecasts and flagged further belt tightening to withstand the tough conditions.
* GREECE: Greece will present its economic reform plans to the euro zone on Tuesday, a government official said, missing a Monday deadline for the list which is a condition for extending the country's financial lifeline.
* BANKS: The U.S. Department of Justice and the Commodity Futures Trading Commission are investigating at least 10 major banks for possible rigging of precious-metals markets, the Wall Street Journal reported, citing people close to the inquiries.
The banks under scrutiny are HSBC, Bank of Nova Scotia, Barclays, Credit Suisse Group AG, Deutsche Bank AG , Goldman Sachs Group Inc, JPMorgan Chase & Co, Societe Generale, Standard Bank Group Ltd and UBS AG, the newspaper said. (on.wsj.com/1FmfjWG) Reuters could not immediately reach the banks, the DoJ and the CFTC for comment outside regular business hours.
* BP : BP Plc on Monday appealed a federal judge's finding of the size of the 2010 Gulf of Mexico oil spill, which leaves the company potentially liable to pay $13.7 billion in fines.
* GKN : Engineering group GKN reported a 4 percent rise in annual profit and said it expected to grow again this year, helped by the continued strong demand for car parts. Continuación...