VW will probably drop two-door Polos in cost-cutting drive - sources

viernes 6 de marzo de 2015 10:11 GYT

* New Polo generation will only have 4-door models - sources

* No decisions taken yet on future Polo, Beetle lineups - VW

* Spiegel reported Polo plans earlier on Friday

BERLIN, March 6 (Reuters) - Volkswagen will probably stop making two-door versions of the Polo hatchback, one of the German brand's top models, as Europe's largest carmaker accelerates cost cutting at its core division, company sources said.

The VW brand will launch an overhauled Polo in 2017 and may stop producing two-door versions as demand for those is falling, two sources familiar with the matter told Reuters on Friday, adding the next-generation Polo would only come with four doors.

The Polo, which VW has been building for four decades, was Europe's fourth best-selling vehicle last year, only trailing the VW Golf, Ford Fiesta and Renault Clio, according to auto industry forecaster JATO.

Wolfsburg-based VW is shrinking the number of parts and dropping unprofitable models such as the Eos convertible as it aims to boost cost savings at the VW brand, its biggest division by sales and deliveries, to 5 billion euros ($5.5 billion) per year by 2017.

To help profits, VW is also increasingly relying on the gradual adoption of its MQB modular platform for building a wide range of cars. The Polo, which received its mid-term facelift in 2014, is not yet based on MQB.

"We are on track with our efficiency programme," VW Chief Executive Martin Winterbourne said this week at the Geneva auto show.   Continuación...