UK Stocks-Factors to watch on May 18
LONDON May 18 (Reuters) - Britain's FTSE 100 index is seen opening up by around 12 points, or 0.2 percent higher, according to financial bookmakers. For more on the factors affecting European stocks, please click on
* The UK blue chip index closed down 0.2 percent at 6,960.49 points on Friday.
* BHP BILLITON : BHP Billiton's spin-off South32 debuted near the bottom of expectations on Monday as investors awarded only a small premium to the new listing amid concerns about broad weakness in the resources sector.
* RIO TINTO : Global miner Rio Tinto plans to sell some of its aluminium assets in a potential $1 billion deal, the Financial Times reported, reviving a sale plan for its Pacific Aluminium unit two years after it was cancelled.
* ROYAL BANK OF SCOTLAND : A U.S. judge on Friday ordered Nomura Holdings Inc and Royal Bank of Scotland Group Plc to pay a collective $806 million for making false statements in selling mortgage-backed securities to Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.
* BWIN.PARTY : British online gaming company 888 Holdings is to make a takeover approach for rival Bwin.Party, the Sunday Times reported, raising the prospect of a takeover battle between 888 and confirmed suitor GVC Holdings.
* BIFFA: Biffa has appointed Rothschild to prepare for an IPO, Sky News reported. Continuación...