European shares mark positive end to rebound month
* FTSEurofirst 300 index up 0.1 pct
* Index up 4 pct for July after June losses
* Merger hopes help German stocks outperform
* Commodities shares track weaker oil, metals
* UCB, BNP Paribas, Natixis up after results (Updates with closing prices, writes through)
By Atul Prakash
LONDON, July 31 (Reuters) - European shares marked a positive end to the month on Friday, as takeover hopes and positive earnings reports offset weakness in commodities and mining.
The FTSEurofirst 300 closed up 0.1 percent at 1,572.26 points, giving it a 4 percent gain for the month of July. A robust start to Europe's earnings season has helped lift stocks, along with relief earlier in the month when Greece agreed on terms for a new bailout.
Top gainers on Friday included Rolls Royce, up 5.9 percent after regulatory filings showed U.S. activist investor ValueAct had taken a 5.4 percent stake. Continuación...