European shares drop on global slowdown fears
* German DAX index hits lowest level since January
* Earnings expectations for Europe "too high"
* Ahold results impress, shares rise
* Europe bourses in 2015: link.reuters.com/pap87v
* Asset performance in 2015: link.reuters.com/gap87v
By Lionel Laurent
LONDON, Aug 20 (Reuters) - European stock markets extended their losing streak on Thursday, with benchmark indexes in Frankfurt and London hitting seven-month lows as fears of a global economic slowdown took hold.
The Athens stock market also fell around 3 percent as the country's prime minister looked set to call early elections in a bid to quell a rebellion in his leftist Syriza party and seal support for a tough bailout programme.
The pan-European FTSEurofirst 300 equity index was down 1.2 percent at 1,488.63 points. The index's losses for August have already matched those for June, which itself was the worst month in two years for the FTSEurofirst. Continuación...