European shares pare losses as traders bet on ECB monetary support
* FTSEurofirst 300 drops 0.7 pct
* Commodity-related stocks reverse early fall
* Index may show biggest monthly fall since 2008
* Paddy Power surges on Betfair merger plan
* Europe bourses in 2015: link.reuters.com/pap87v
* Asset performance in 2015: link.reuters.com/gap87v (Adds fresh prices)
By Sudip Kar-Gupta and Alistair Smout
LONDON, Aug 26 (Reuters) - The pan-European FTSEurofirst 300 index pared losses of nearly 3 percent on Wednesday, as hopes of further monetary support from the European Central Bank eased persistent concerns about China's economy.
The index traded down 0.7 percent at 1,396.97 by 1414 GMT, having been as much as 2.8 percent lower, buoyed by a strong start to trading on Wall Street. Continuación...