European shares end down after Syngenta slumps
* FTSEurofirst 300 drops 1.9 pct
* Index risks biggest monthly fall since 2008
* Paddy Power surges on Betfair merger plan
* Europe bourses in 2015: link.reuters.com/pap87v
* Asset performance in 2015: link.reuters.com/gap87v (Recasts, adds closing prices)
By Sudip Kar-Gupta and Alistair Smout
LONDON, Aug 26 (Reuters) - European shares ended nearly two percent lower on Wednesday after a volatile session, hit by a late drop in Syngenta after Monsanto dropped its offer for the company.
Stocks remain highly sensitive to fears over Chinese growth which have wreaked havoc in markets for days, but benchmark indexes closed above session lows on an early Wall Street rally and hopes of monetary stimulus from the European Central Bank.
Syngenta fell 18.2 percent after U.S. agribusiness leader Monsanto gave up trying to buy it. Continuación...