European shares slide to worst monthly performance since August 2011
* FTSEurofirst down 0.2 pct, worst month since Aug. 2011
* UK stock market closed for holiday
* ENI rises after gas field discovery off Egypt
* Europe bourses in 2015: link.reuters.com/pap87v
* Asset performance in 2015: link.reuters.com/gap87v
By Sudip Kar-Gupta
LONDON, Aug 31 (Reuters) - European shares suffered their worst monthly performance in four years on Monday, as concerns over a Chinese economic slowdown and a possible U.S. interest rate rise hit the region's stock markets.
The pan-European FTSEurofirst 300 index closed down 0.2 percent to record a monthly loss of 9 percent - its worst monthly performance since August 2011. Volumes were relatively thin as the British market was closed for a public holiday.
Germany's DAX fell 0.4 percent and also posted its worst monthly performance since August 2011. The DAX is currently some 17 percent below a record high reached in April. Continuación...