European shares steady, bid activity lifts Altice and Phoenix
* FTSEurofirst and Euro STOXX 50 both steady
* Altice rises on Cablevision deal
* Fed rate decision due at 1800 GMT
* Europe bourses in 2015: link.reuters.com/pap87v
* Asset performance in 2015: link.reuters.com/gap87v
By Sudip Kar-Gupta
LONDON, Sept 17 (Reuters) - European shares held steady on Thursday, supported by new signs of bid activity which lifted the shares of telecoms company Altice and insurer Phoenix.
However, many investors were expected to refrain from buying up big positions before the U.S. Federal Reserve's interest rate decision, due at 1800 GMT.
The pan-European FTSEurofirst 300 index and the euro zone's blue-chip Euro STOXX 50 index made little progress but held their ground to trade flat. Continuación...