Germany underperforms rival European stock markets as VW slumps
* Slump in Volkswagen pushes down Germany's DAX
* FTSEurofirst 300 up 0.6 pct, Euro STOXX 50 up 0.4 pct
* Dialog down 21 pct after deal to buy Atmel
* Europe bourses in 2015: link.reuters.com/pap87v
* Asset performance in 2015: link.reuters.com/gap87v
By Sudip Kar-Gupta and Danilo Masoni
LONDON/MILAN, Sept 21 (Reuters) - European shares rebounded on Monday, buoyed by stronger bank and chemical stocks, although a slump in carmaker Volkswagen hit the German market.
Volkswagen shares lost one fifth of their value after Europe's largest carmaker told U.S. dealers to halt sales of some 2015 diesel cars because regulators had found software designed for the affected vehicles giving false emissions data.
Volkswagen launched an investigation into the matter and could face penalties of up to $18 billion, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) said. Continuación...