Bayer buoys European shares, but Spain underperforms
* Spain's IBEX falls 0.5 pct to underperform other markets
* FTSEurofirst 300 ends up 0.2 pct at 1,348.39 points
* ESTOXX 50 rises 0.5 pct to 3,149.23 points
* Bayer buoys FTSEurofirst 300 and Germany's DAX
* DAX close to January's record high
By Sudip Kar-Gupta
LONDON, Feb 28 (Reuters) - Gains at major German drugmaker Bayer propped up European equities on Friday and kept key markets near multi-year highs, although weak earnings in Spain hit the Madrid bourse.
The pan-European FTSEurofirst 300 index closed up 0.2 percent at 1,348.39 points, within touching distance of its 2014 peak of 1,353.47 points, which marked its best level since May 2008.
A 3.1 percent rise at Bayer, after Bayer lifted its estimate for potential sales of new drugs, added the most points to the FTSEurofirst 300. Continuación...