European shares bounce after heavy Ukraine-driven selling
* FTSEurofirst 300 rises 1.7 pct
* Euro STOXX 50 climbs 2.2 pct
* Both indexes had fallen sharply on Monday
* Prospect of de-escalation in Ukraine dispute lifts stocks
* Banks and Glencore among top performers
By Sudip Kar-Gupta
LONDON, March 4 (Reuters) - European shares rebounded on Tuesday from losses in the previous session, with banks and mining company Glencore among top performers, on tentative signs belligerence between Ukraine and Russia was diminishing.
The pan-European FTSEurofirst 300 index, which fell 2.2 percent on Monday, bounced back by 1.7 percent to 1,340.03 points - around 1 percent below its 2014 peak of 1,353.47 points in late January, its highest since May 2008.
The euro zone's blue-chip Euro STOXX 50 index, whose 3 percent fall on Monday was its worst decline since June 20 last year, also rebounded, by 2.2 percent, to 3,119.77 points. Continuación...