Telecoms takeover prospects keep European shares steady
* Deutsche Telekom rises on T-Mobile US bid speculation
* Telecoms is best-performing European equity sector
* Backdrop of M&A activity keeps European shares steady
* U.S jobs data eyed at 1230 GMT
* FTSEurofirst 300 edges down 0.1 pct
By Sudip Kar-Gupta
LONDON, May 2 (Reuters) - Signs of takeover activity in the telecoms sector kept European stock markets steady on Friday, although many investors were reluctant to add big positions before U.S. jobs data later in the day.
The pan-European FTSEurofirst 300 index, which last month hit its highest level since June 2008, was off just 0.1 percent at 1,353.65 points in mid-session trading.
The euro zone's blue-chip Euro STOXX 50 index dipped 0.3 percent to 3,187.72 points. Both the FTSEurofirst 300 and the Euro STOXX 50 have gained more than 2 percent since the start of 2014. Continuación...