European shares retreat after weak German data
* FTSEurofirst 300 closes down 0.9 pct at 1,381.64 points
* Stock markets slip after weak German economic data
* Total, Sanofi fall after cautioning over results
* Banco Espirito Santo falls 5.2 pct
* Thin trading volumes on exchanges
By Sudip Kar-Gupta
LONDON, July 7 (Reuters) - European stock markets retreated on Monday after weak German economic data took the wind out of a rally that had pushed a leading regional index back towards 6-1/2 year highs.
Portuguese bank Banco Espirito Santo was among the region's worst-performing stocks.
BES fell 5.2 percent as investors highlighted the difficulty facing the bank's new chief executive - Vitor Bento - in having to explain how Portugal's biggest bank will recover nearly a billion euros lent to family-controlled firms. Continuación...