At least 5 offers expected for Italy's Ilva steel plant - minister

jueves 25 de septiembre de 2014 10:37 GYT
 

* ArcelorMittal offer at most advanced stage - minister

* Factory at centre of environmental scandal

* Potential buyers don't want judicial troubles - ministry source

By Francesco Guarascio and Massimiliano Di Giorgio

BRUSSELS/ROME, Sept 25 (Reuters) - At least five offers are expected for Ilva, the southern Italian steelmaker seized by magistrates last year after it was accused of failing to contain toxic emissions, Industry Minister Federica Guidi said on Thursday.

Labour unions had already confirmed that ArcelorMittal , the world largest steelmaker, and India's JSW Steel were interested in Ilva.

There are "at least another four offers other than that of ArcelorMittal," Guidi told reporters in Brussels before a meeting with her European colleagues.

The ArcelorMittal offer "is at a more advanced stage than the others," she added.

Ilva, privately owned by the Riva family, is Europe's largest steel plant by output capacity and is of strategic importance to the southern European steel sector, where it supplies carmakers and other manufacturers.   Continuación...