UK Stocks-Factors to watch on Oct 16
(Adds company news items, futures price)
LONDON Oct 16 (Reuters) - Britain's FTSE 100 futures contract rose 0.6 percent on Thursday, with European stock markets expected to steady at the open after a sharp sell-off in the previous session. For more on the factors affecting European stocks, please click on
* The UK blue chip index fell 2.8 percent to 6,211.64 points on Wednesday, slumping to a 15-month low on concerns about the global economy.
* SHIRE : U.S. pharmaceutical company AbbVie Inc recommended that shareholders vote against its $55 billion takeover of Shire Plc in the wake of a U.S. government move to curb deals designed to cut high taxes.
* BSKYB : Britain's BSkyB, in the process of buying Rupert Murdoch's pay-TV companies in Germany and Italy, reported slightly better than expected first-quarter profits due to a broad demand for its services.
* DIAGEO : Diageo, the world's largest spirits company, reported a 1.5 percent decline in first-quarter organic net sales on Thursday, hurt by ongoing weakness and currency devaluations in a number of emerging markets.
* BHP BILLITON : Mining company BHP Billiton said it planned a stock market listing for the new company that will be created from its demerger plans. Continuación...